[Evolution] Evolution Connector and SSL

Hey all,

        I use to be able to connect to the Exchange server where I work, using
something like around 2.2.  But, since I desperately needed in-line pgp,
I upgraded to 2.4 and found the Exchange Connector to be pretty much
broken, so I gave up on that for a while (I get my mail from a Unix
system and only needed Exchange for contacts and calendar) since the PGP
was more important.

        I recently upgraded to Fedora Core 5 and Evolution 2.6 and figured I
would give it another shot.  But things are still broken and there is
some very weird behavior here, probably related to the way our IT
department has our Exchange OWA setup.  Both my son, Scott, (who works
with me at the same place) and I have run into similar problems.

        We've both run ximian-connector-setup-2.6.

        The OWA path is something like: https://{server}/exchange

        Note the https.  We don't allow http.  Not an option but was never a
problem with 2.2 (I think there was a use SSL always radio button or
something which isn't there now).

        Now...  We get through the authentication just fine during that setup
but then it doesn't work in Evolution.  It prompts for the password at
startup and then refuses to authenticate and we have to cancel.  So, we
edit the account and look at the "Receive Mail" options in that account.
Ah!  The OWA URL is wrong.

        First thing that's wrong is that the URL is back to http:.  That's BAD.
That's very bad.  That just won't work.  It's not allowed and that won't
change.  Second, we've got another string after the "/exchange" that
seems to be a mailbox identifier.  In Scott's case it's his user id.  In
my case it's "pgp-keys".  In his case, he changes the https to http and
deletes his user ID off the URL and it can work, as long as he DOESN'T
then hit "authenticate".  If he does hit "authenticate" it resets the
values back to the BAD values (why are these being MUCKED WITH after
they have been set and working?) after he leaves that dialog.  So he
just hits OK without doing the authenticate and he seems to be able to
get it to work then.

        I don't seem to have that option at all.  If I change anything on the
OWA URL line, the OK button is greyed out (WHY?) and I can't move to the
next screen.  I can hit "Authenticate" and I can successfully
authenticate to the Exchange server (only if it's https and there is NO
mailbox after the "/exchange" in the OWA URL) but then it still won't
unlock the OK button and the button remains grayed out and I have to
cancel.

        I found the "mailbox" registry stuff under apps/evolution/mail in gconf
and tried editing that with the gconf-editor but I still can't force it
to use https (it does say SSL Only = yes in that options string) and I
still can't get it to leave the OWA URL alone and not append that
mailbox.  That was the only way to change that mailbox identifier (in my
case) from "pgp-keys" to "mhw".  But I have no idea WHERE it got the
pgp-keys from.  Maybe it gets it from the Exchange server itself?  I
think I'm the owner of a mailing list alias for pgp-keys here.  I know
I'm on that mailing list alias, and I think I might actually own it.
But it's certainly not a mailbox I would log into.

        I've tried deleting all the "exchange" stuff from the .evolution
directories and the .gconf registries and then re-adding the account
(even rebooting in the middle).  It still plugs in this "pgp-keys" for
me and I have NO idea where it's coming from but it's screwing things up
royally and I can't seem to force it by just telling it "Ok" when
editing the account.  There must be some difference between Scott's
setup and my setup where he can still use the OK button (and get around
the dain bramage in the authenticate step) and I can't.  I'd settle for
just getting that OK button back so the damn thing would do what I'm
telling it to do and not what it thinks (incorrectly) I should do.

        How do I make this work and why is it misbehaving in this manner?

        Both Scott and I are on Fedora Core 5 and Evolution 2.6.0, if it
matters.

        Regards,
        Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 985-6132 |  mhw WittsEnd com