Re: [Evolution] Heads Up: Debian issues on testing/unstable

sÃn, 02,.04.2006 kl. 21.40 +0200, skrev guenther:
So I have been down that road way too often the last week. More than
once on a daily basis is sufficient to post this "just in case"...
There currently is a known Debian specific issue, biting a lot of users:

Hello all :)

As one of the (very) new evolution-maintainers in Debian, I'd like to
chip in with a few comments on the current status and future of
evolution in Debian :)

First of all, these bugs mentioned are not Debian-specific bugs, but
memory-management bugs in gtkhtml3.8 and evolution 2.4, which were
exposed by the new memory-allocator in glib 2.10. The bugs have been
fixed in cvs.gnome.org, but not in any official evo 2.4-release (someone
might think of doing a 2.4.3 sometime)

When this mess appeared (that is, when glib 2.10 and pango 1.12
appeared) I stepped up to fix it in Debian with NMUs
(non-maintainer-uploads), and was subsequently also pulled into the
evolution-maintainer-team.

The problem has been fixed in unstable since 22. mar (with versions
higher than evo 2.4.2.1-1.1, e-d-s 1.4.2.1-1.1 and
gtkthhtml3.8/libgtkhtml3.8-15 3.8.1-1.1), but when glib2.10 was pushed
into testing last week without evolution being ready to go in (failed to
build on some archs due to problems further down in the
dependency-chain), users of testing were also *unfortunately* affected.

During the last week evo 2.6 and friends were prepared and uploaded to
experimental and are right now waiting in the NEW-queue due to updated
sonames in e-d-s. As it had to go into NEW, we also took the opportunity
to introduce NEW -dbg packages into debian, to help bug-triaging in the
future.

We will wait to see how long before evolution 2.4.2.1-2 can move to
testing, and how fast things go through the NEW-queue, before deciding
on when the 2.14-series of evolution and friends will move from
experimental to unstable. Hopefully all this will happen soonish ;)

For now the options for users of testing are either to run evolution
with the G_SLICE=always-malloc workaround, to downgrade libglib2.0-0 and
libpango1.0-0 to 2.8/1.10, or to upgrade with unstable versions of
evolution, evolution-data-server and libgtkhtml3.8-15.

For the future I'd like to say that the introduction of 2 new members
into the team of Debian evolution-maintainers (myself and Ãystein
GisnÃs) will help bring about higher quality packages of evolution and
friends in Debian, as there are now, finally, active maintainers of
evolution who are also users ;)

Cheers :)
 Heikki