Re: [Evolution] Heads Up: Debian issues on testing/unstable

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 21:40 +0200, guenther wrote:
Start Evolution with a glib specific environment variable set:

  $ G_SLICE=always-malloc evolution

Thanks a lot for this tip. I upgraded Evo on Saturday from Debian
'experimental' and had a bad time starting Evo.

<snipped>

Q: My evolution 2.4.2.1 (debian testing) hangs up saying "*** glibc
   detected *** double free or corruption". What can I do?
A: Try the workaround (mentioned above). You most likely updated glib
   and are now suffering from a Debian specific issue. You'll need that
   env var, until Debian released fixed packages.

I was facing the same problem, but sometimes the error used to change to
"***glibc detected *** invalid free pointer".

I attached a 'gdb' session to Evo and found that these erors were
happening inside libgtkhtml. I later figured out that 'libgtkhtml' was
not updated on my machine during the evo's upgrade. The version of
'libgtkhtml3.8-15' was '3.8.1-1' on my machine, and '3.8.1-1.1' was
available.

I updated 'libgtkhtml3.8-15' to '3.8.1-1.1' and Evo hasn't crashed on me
yet. :)

After reading your post, I did a Google and found this:

Only if I had read this before, I wouldn't have spent so much time in
figuring out the exact problem.

Hope this helps.

Srinidhi.
--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )         B S Srinidhi
 - against HTML email  X          http://srinidhi.deeproot.co.in