Re: [Evolution] Heads Up: Debian issues on testing/unstable

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 23:02 +0200, guenther wrote:
On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 15:00 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 21:40 +0200, guenther wrote:
So I have been down that road way too often the last week. More than
once on a daily basis is sufficient to post this "just in case"...

There currently is a known Debian specific issue, biting a lot of users:

As a first step towards GNOME 2.14 in Debian, glib has been updated from

know exactly, what I am doing. Every fucking bit matters. And please
don't mind, if I am curt -- until we solved the issue. :)

Hi, Guenther.

This issue does *not* affect up-to-date Sid users anymore.  -1.1
or -2 (forget which) fixed it.

You forgot the caveat about me not being a debian user. What is Sid
again exactly? ;-)  OK, according to google, this is unstable.

Well, as I mentioned in the OP, this doesn't seem to strike unstable
users a lot. However, bug 336623 [1] looks like this indeed is an issue

Besides this, the evolution-plugins issue stands as well. The separate
plugins package isn't updated automatically -- updating manually from
-1.1 to the matching -2 solved this for at least one user on IRC. He was

If evolution-plugins is installed, then "apt-get upgrade" will
auto-upgrade it from -1 or -.1.1 to -2.

the first one to find out about this. Previously downgrading glib solved
it for 2 other fellows...

Yeah, a little bit confusing, isn't it?

Not really.

$ evolution --force-shutdown
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

The key is --force-shutdown.

Anyway, thanks for the follow up and more details on this, Ron. :)  I'd
appreciate it, if debian users could post all relevant information to
come, especially when the fixed packages are out.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three
requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all
is lost."
Gustave Flaubert