Re: [Evolution] problems retrieving addressbooks

Hi andre

thanks again for you reply!

Le mercredi 14 septembre 2005 Ã 12:40 +0200, Andre Klapper a Ãcrit :
hi miguel,

Am Mittwoch, den 14.09.2005, 11:31 +0200 schrieb Miguel Decleire:
Ok. But if I understand you correctly, if I don't have access to my old
Fedora gconf data, I've lost the access to the sub-addressbooks, right?

no, not necessarily. :-)
perhaps this posting can help you on how to set it up again:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2005-August/msg00220.html

This was very helpful to understand the situation. But so far, I can't
say that I managed to get the data back...
As you say, the new values get overwritten after logout and back in
gnome, but the numbers of the group uid and source uid of the "Personal"
addressbook have grown higher in the rewriting (and so for example, a
small sub addressbook which had before a "greater" number than the
"Personal", now has a "smaller" one. Maybe it is for that reason that it
has been wiped out of the sources file, and maybe it is why gnome keeps
overwriting the file?...)
I re-edited the sources file, tried to export it as you proposed by
doing gconftool-2 --dump etc., went in tty1, shut down gconfd-2 by ps ax
| grep gconf, imported the settings by gconftool-2 --load the-file.xml,
got back in tty7, restarted the session from there, but then evolution
wouldn't start. I got back the previous %gconf.xml file (the name of the
file in nautilus and bash), and got evolution running again.
I guess I made some writing mistake somewhere, but might the id numbers
and their order in the sources file have something to do? Might the
rewriting of the numbers get it right again, or would that mess the
whole thing up?
Maybe I should work outside of gnome altogether, but my fragmentary
gnu/linux education hinders me a bit to do it (I'm a sort of long term
newbie, still uneasy with vim...)

Is there some workaround to access the db? It seems it's a Berkeley db
file. Would the Berkeley DB software from sleepycat help to at least be
able to read the data at least in some text mode?

don't know, i've only seen comments so far that it's very hard to handle
the db with external apps - if you succeed, please let me know.

Sounds encouraging. Well, maybe I'll try later... ;-)

Thanks again.

Miguel