Re: [Evolution] problems retrieving addressbooks

Hi Andre

Thanks for your reply

Le mercredi 14 septembre 2005 Ã 03:10 +0200, Andre Klapper a Ãcrit :
hi miguel,

Am Dienstag, den 13.09.2005, 15:43 +0200 schrieb Miguel Decleire:
I'm having trouble trying to retrieve address-books after migrating from
Fedora Core 3 (Evolution 2.0.2) to Debian Sarge (2.0.4).
For all of the rest of the data, a simple copy/paste of the items to the
new /.evolution directory was enough. For the addressbook, the main one
("system") was also immediately accessible too. But not the "sub"
addressbooks I had created (which are filed
in /.evolution/addressbook/local with a code number).

Evolution stores your data in $HOME/.evolution/, your account settings
in $HOME/.gconf/apps/evolution and your passwords in
$HOME/.gnome2_private/Evolution. SSL Certificates are stored in
$HOME/.camel_certs.

hmm... so did you also copy your gconf account settings?

well no... How could I have known? -I know, nobody's supposed to ignore
the law :-)

okay, now how to transfer all Evolution data between computers/to a new
partition/to a new computer:

Make sure you haven't started Evolution on the new computer/new
partition yet. First of all, shut Evolution and its background processes
(Evolution Data Server, Evolution Alarm Notify) completly down by using
      evolution --force-shutdown
Then copy the contents of $HOME/.evolution/,
$HOME/.gnome2_private/Evolution, $HOME/.camel_certs.
Then dump your Evolution settings stored in GConf by running
"gconftool-2 --dump /apps/evolution > some-file.xml" where
"some-file.xml" is the name of the file the information is written to.

On the new computer, make sure you are not running gconf (by "ps ax |
grep gconf" for example; you normally have to leave gnome for that and
then run "gconftool-2 --shutdown"). Then import those settings by
running "gconftool-2 --load some-file.xml" and log in to gnome again.

Ok. But if I understand you correctly, if I don't have access to my old
Fedora gconf data, I've lost the access to the sub-addressbooks, right?
Is there some workaround to access the db? It seems it's a Berkeley db
file. Would the Berkeley DB software from sleepycat help to at least be
able to read the data at least in some text mode? It would be better
than anything.

in general: backups can save your day. :-)
you bet. Next time I backup my whole home directory, no matter the size
of it.

Thanks for you help anyway.

Miguel