Re: [Evolution] Re: email tips and tricks ? - [kinda OT]

I have had to be absent from my computer and email for a month.  When I
opened evolution today I had close to 2,000 emails.  I know many of the
people on this list get that many in a morning, but it is a huge amount
to me.

Perhaps some of you heavy users could take a few moments to give me and
other SOHO users some tips and describe the tricks you use to get
through a large amount of mail (using evo of course).

I have spent 30 to 45 minutes vetting just my personal emails and
commercial spam.  At that rate it is going to take me 8 hours to go
through everything else.

Install SpamAssassin and use the Evo built-in Junk UI to deal with your
SPAM, rather than doing it manually only.

But you might be using it already. Otherwise you would have got less
than 300 SPAMs in a whole month, judging from the numbers mentioned.
This would make me *very* jealous.... ;-)

Most of the 1,700 email that is left is from mailing lists.
I have set up vFolders and filters for each of these lists and have set
them to thread mode.

FWIW, processing the remaining 1700 mails in 8 hours is an average of 17
seconds per mail -- if you're really going to read any single mail, this
doesn't seem bad. ;-)

I have been flagging my mail as read/unread, keeping it for a few weeks
or so in its vFolder and then archiving those I want to keep.

Is there a way to flag just the parent email and have all child mail
automatically flagged as well.  Same with 'mark for follow up' or
'labeling'.  Do I have to create a script bound to an accelerator key to
do this?  If so how do I get started?  Do I use a BASH script?

Depends on what you're using it for. If you want every mail in that
thread to have that flag or status, Edit / Select Thread (Ctrl-H) might
speed it up.

If this flagging will be used to filter those mails using vFolders or a
Search, it is sufficient to flag one mail per thread -- and using the
"Include threads" feature of vFolders and Searches.

Can I start with all the thread trees in the message list closed so that
I can only see and work with the parent?

Unfortunately no.

Or, are there any other suggestions or better ways of doing the vetting
quickly?

Again, depends on your use case, interests and the contents of the
folder. Searches can speed up things. I regularly use it to spot all
mails with a particular keyword in the subject, glance over the
resulting list of subjects and delete all of em -- cause I know I don't
care anyway.

HTH

...guenther