Replying and cursor position (was: Re: [Evolution] IMAP bug in 2.4?)

Backups are always good. :-)  Not only of the data, but settings as
well. 'gconftool-2 --help' is your friend, watch out for --dump and
--load. ;)

Luckily I did have a full backup so no harm done.

A: No.
Q: Should I put my reply above quoted text?

BTW, your .sig is amusing, but it makes me wonder why Evo doesn't
provide any encouragement for putting replies after text. It puts the
cursor at the beginning, which is just asking for people to do it the
wrong way round (which I confess to doing a lot).

Well, IMHO whatever way the mailer uses, there are downsides.

If you're replying to your customers, you likely want to put some
greeting line or whatever at the top. This isn't an issue with mailing
lists, though. ;)

Having the cursor at the top sure encourages TOFU. Anyway, IMHO it is
the best option. Cause simply replying at the bottom isn't the way to go
either.

With the cursor being at the top, the user gets a chance to behave
really nicely. Which is a) replying inline where appropriate rather than
at the bottom or top, and b) stripping everything that isn't necessary.
Thus he needs to go down the entire mail anyway. Actually doing so is
the users duty. ;-)

FWIW, you replied inline, leaving comments where appropriate (see
above). Now if the cursor would have been at the bottom when replying,
you would have to move the cursor anyway. ;)

Just a few personal thoughts...

...guenther