Re: [Evolution] Browser interaction in Evo 2.0.4

I can't believe this questions still is unanswered for a month...

There is a new behavior in Evolution 2.0.4. When you click on a URL
displayed in a mail message, it now goes to Firefox and opens a new tab
in the existing instance. Since I normally work with several desktops
and keep my Mail and Browser desktops separate, I find this annoying. Is
there any way to control this action? I would prefer it open a new
browser window so it gets displayed in the current desktop.

This is not an Evolution issue. Some details:

1) The action taken when clicking a link in any GNOME app is a GNOME
   setting. Evolution will just do the same as every other GNOME app. So
   to change this behavior, the GNOME settings are the place to go (see
   below).

2) Opening a new *tab* in Firefox either is a Firefox setting or a
   distro [1] specific one.

So here we go again with the most-wanted answer... ;-)

My previously posted default answer below mentions Mozilla
(cut-n-paste), but it shouldn't be hard to adjust it to call Firefox
instead.

Same for calling a new $BROWSER instance vs. opening in a new tab using
the already running $BROWSER vs. opening in a new window [2]...

...guenther

[1] Did you upgrade your distro or at least Firefox as well? This is in
    *no* case due to a upgrade of Evolution only...

[2] When using the attached script, use new-window rather than new-tab.
    http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html

Setting default browser (Evolution 1.4, 2.0 / Gnome 2.x)

Open the "Gnome Control Center" > Preferred Applications > Web Browser
or simply run:
$ gnome-default-applications-properties

 check 'Custom Web Browser'
 Command: gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s"

This will present you every link (clicked in a Gnome 2 app) in a new
mozilla window. If you prefer tabs (instead of new windows) like me,
change it similar like that:

 Command: mozilla-remote.sh "%s"

Have the attached script in your path (or change the command to have the
whole path) and make the script executable.

If you want to use another browser rather than Mozilla, you have to
adjust the command (or the script for most of them, to enable tabs).

Setting default browser using *gconftool* (Gnome 2.0/2.2)

You will need GConf (and the gconf daemon running) to set this. If you
do *not* have the Gnome Control Center installed, there is a way to set
this using GConf directly:

See, which values are stored in that sub-tree. Save the output to a
file, so you can revert to those settings!

$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown
 command = mozilla %s
 need-terminal = false
 enabled = true

Now, this should enter all those values (at least, they work for me):

$ gconftool-2 --set --type=string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/command 'mozilla %s'
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/need-terminal false
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/unknown/enabled true

Setting default browser using *gconftool* (Gnome 2.4/2.6/2.8/2.10)

This is basically the as above, just some GConf key change:

The relevant key on Gnome 2.4 has changed, but is pretty much similar.
Simply substitute "unknown" by "http", especially in the commands to set
the values.
 /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http

Also, the "https" branch may be useful. However, this is *not* set using
the GUI method mentioned above.