[Evolution] Re: How to add options for attachment display?

Paul
Here is how I solved the problem. I created a file
~/.local/share/applications/winword2.desktop
with the contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=winword
MimeType=application/msword
Exec='/home/spa/cxoffice/bin/winword'
Type=Application
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=true

This was copied from another file named winword.desktop, which deals
with another Mime Type (vnd.ms-work, whatever the heck that is).

Don't ask me why this works, but it worked for me. I believe the
mechanism is pretty general, that is, once you figure out what the Mime
Type is for a file type of interest, you just create a .desktop file of
the above form, and then Evolution knows to associate that Mime type
with the appropriate application. (By the way, I use Evolution in the
KDE desktop, not in GNOME).

I believe that gnome-control-center used to handle this, but for some
reason gnome-control-center went away.

I don't know an easy way to figure out the Mime Type of an arbitrary
file, but if you go to
http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/html4ed/appb/mimetype.html you will
find a list of the association between Mime types and file extensions.

Good luck...

Steve

When I asked:

How can new types be registered with the system so that a double-click
will fire up the appropriate viewer?  If it helps to make the problem
concrete: how do I associate /usr/local/bin/acroread with attachments
that have a .pdf suffix?    Needless to say, I'me really looking to
solve the general problem.

several helpful people (thanks to all!) replied that it was a Gnome
feature and not anything specific to Evolution.

Unfortunately, I'd already explored that route myself before I even
asked the question.  Nautilus knows what to do with pdf files and
acroread fires up appropriately.

However, Evolution steadfastly refuses to do The Right Thing, which made
me think it's an Evo problem.

Hmm, still baffled.   Any further ideas will be welcomed.

Cheers,
      Paul

End of evolution Digest
--
Steven P. Auerbach <steven p auerbach saic com>