Re: [Evolution] Any suggested workarounds for yet one more interface quirk?

use Space and Backspace like every other mail client

Jeff

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 18:31 -0700, Evolution List wrote:
Bryan recently suggested using VFolders to keep track of unread emails.
That was a  GREAT suggestion Bryan!  One that is working beautifully and
keeping me from having to manually find unread messages in each of the
folders to which my filters send them as a result of seemingly
unreliable key presses and scroll bar shenanigens :).

Anyway I have a new interface quirk that I would surely appreciate
similar input on how to get around from anyone that might have a viable
solution.

Specifically....I am focused, at least I think I am, on the pane
containing message lines like From, To, etc..  In my Evolution the pane
is in the upper right.  The blue highlight bar is present over a message
(at least in Gnome).  Okay that's the background.

Now I would like to be able to scroll down through the email, whose
contents appear in the pane just below the aforementioned one, such that
I could read through the email WITHOUT loosing my ability to traverse
from one message to the next in the upper right pane previously
mentioned.

Currently the only way I can do that is to go over to my mouse, use the
middle scroll wheel, scroll through my message and then come back to the
keyboard to down arrow to the next message.  Oh I think I can use the
Tab key as well but since their is no clear indication of where I am
focused by using the Tab key it's also frustrating to use that approach
because sometimes tabbing ends up in places I did not intend to go.

This is a major PITA for those of us who like to use the keyboard as
much as possible without having to rely on the mouse.  If you are on the
computer as much as I am and end up using the mouse as much as I end up
having to do, your mouse hand muscles can start to become quite painful
after 8 or more hours of mousing around.

Anyway I have tried all kinds of key combinations and nothing seems to
work in terms of letting me scroll through a messages's contents while
still able to use the down and up arrow keys to go to the next and
something similar to allow that?  Why must I have to go over and use the
mouse again?

Is there no workaround for this additional very annoying quirk?  Better
yet are there plans in the works to allow us to define our own keyboard
shortcuts?

Oh how I wish that someone on the interface team would be a keyboard
oriented person!  I say that because it seems unlikely that there is
such a person on the interface team or else, if there is, that they
don't have much say so.  I hate to gripe about these interface quirks
but they are really annoying and quite frankly, quite ridiculous.

I'm not trying to be offensive.  Just quite frustrated with Evolution's
interface and how it forces me to work in a less efficient manner than I
am used to.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a work around over this latest
quirk?  I am all ears...

Carlos