[Evolution] ximian-connector 2.0.4 x86_64 cannot --with-static-ldap ?!?

Title: ximian-connector 2.0.4 x86_64 cannot --with-static-ldap ?!?

I've been trying to build and run ximian connector 2.0.4 under Fedora Core 3 on x86_64.

In order to get the evolution-exchange-storage to work with my local Exchanger server, I've built
OpenLDAP 2.2.23 with the ntlm patch applied.

However, if I try to configure --with-static-ldap, the configure fails to compile/link with my
special library. It also seems to fail to find res_query in -lresolv, too, FWIW.

Conversely, the configure against the dynamic shared library for patched OpenLDAP succeeds. I can then do a make and a make install.

But then, when I actually run E2K_DEBUG=4 evolution-exchange-storage before firing up evolution 2.0.4, it will
die with a symbol lookup failure that indicates that it is getting the dynamic library from a system location in
/usr/lib64 or /lib64 that doesn't have our extra friend ldap_ntlm_bind().

So, it's a rock or a hard place.

I saw this old patch for x86_64, but for connector 1.4.7 -- should I try to adapt it to 2.0.4?
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution-patches/2004-September/007474.html

Or, is there a way to coerce my backend storage to use the right dynamic shared library?

I'm almost ready to forcefully rename the ldap libraries in the system directories, but would rather not do something so drastic if it could be avoided.

Thanks for any help.