Re: [Evolution] Evo 2.0 + MailDir format

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 08:46 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 16:07 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

In the old 1.4x, it used to be so simple to change from a Maildir to a
Mbox format, just with a right click.

Not this way, in any forseeable timeframe.  The only practical way
will be to have an option when you first start up to select the global
storage format for all local folders, it wont be supported for
individual folders.  And there are no concrete plans for it even in
the global form.

Hmm.. OK.

Now, There is a workaround as I found on a post from guenther dated
Jan-05-2005. The workaround is rather crude but works, it entails
creating a separate Account, and making the "receiving server" to be
maildir format directories.

Why is that crude?  This is a better method since it exposes the data
to external applications as well.  The other way was a bit silly as it
was entirely internal.

Well compared to the previous style, this is considered crude. What is
the other method? Are you referencing the 1.4.x method? I kinda like
that. Users get to specify a per-folder basis.

I would like to go to the path of a Local IMAP server, but find that
that might be overkill for a Laptop system. :-D

Why would that be any less crude than just setting up a 'local maildir' account?

There's the additional overhead of setting up a IMAP server. I think I
can go to the dovecot path it, being less hassle to set-up but given the
choice, I think I will go to postfix+cyrus. (right now it's sendmail)

ps : The migration from 1.4x to 2.x was really eventful. Only thing now,
is the pain in getting the Exchange GAL(addresbook) to work properly in
the sense of the Addressbook Name sorting. eg: First, Last. Which is
kind of kludgy, Asian names have 3 words

Ow Mun Heng
Ow - Surname, Last Name
Mun Heng - First Name

Its hard to distinguish from the address book who is whom since all I
get is "Heng, Ow"
I think you have to edit the 'file as' entry manually.

If thats the case, I might really not have an option since it's a
company LDAP directory. The thing is, in 1.4.x it shows the full name
when I do a search in the GAL,(addressbook) but in 2.0 it doesn't show
up as that.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz