Re: Scaling Evo for large mailsets (was Re: [OT] Re: [Evolution] strategies for handling lots of mail)

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 07:14 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 04:23 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 14:51 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
[snip]

I've been radically redesigning the way mail information is stored and I
guess I need to make sure it scales well this far and beyond.

Since you asked... ;)

Evo+IMAP seems not to scale well when folders get more than 5000ish
emails.  Time-to-open a folder takes an IMO inordinate amount of
time scanning all the headers.

the only thing that can be done for this is to populate the message-list
as the summary information comes in from the server (but this very
difficult to do since ETable's performance wrt this is horrible). we
can't make the scan any faster because of all the features users want
(like attachment icons, mailing-list vfoldering, etc) which requires a
huge amount of information from the server.

once all the summary information has been "seen" by evolution, it goes a
lot faster, but still takes a while because we have to ask for the flags
for all messages to update our summary with any flag changes that may
have been done since our last folder visit.

And since I populate the folders not with Evo, but with the maildrop
filter, the client has to resync if new emails have been added.

Is the Maildir one-file-per-message paradigm the cause of the
slowness?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Victory has 1,000 fathers; defeat has 1,000 kibitzers."
Jeff Greenfield, CNN political analyst