Re: [Evolution] Had to kill X, and now Evo hangs

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 16:16 +0200, guenther wrote:
After having to kill X the other day with <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<BS>, Evo
won't complete it's start-up any more.  It seems to freeze at
"Scanning IMAP folders...".

Just pulling at straws here, but...

Thanks for replying.

Have you killed bonobo as well? Shut down the e-d-s backend? Or, to get
rid of almost everything: Rebooted the machine? (Yes, that sounds
scary. ;-)

Since I start X using startx, I've restarted bonobo and e-d-s
many times, but without success.

One last thing that might be worth a try is removing your files in /tmp
when restarting. Dunno though...

To narrow down what hangs exactly, try starting Evo with any other
component than the Mailer. See 'evolution --help' for details. Run Evo
with the Calendar component, for example:

$ evolution -c calendar

Does that make Evo start up again?

No.  Same half-start and hang.

But, as you may notice, I'm sending this from Evo now.  At your
suggestion, I poked thru "evolution --help", and there I saw the
"--offline" option.  I started it up offline, then went online
using File->"Work Online".  Worked like a champ.

(I hate to trash-talk the competition, but Sylpheed-claws really
is primitive compared to Evo.  But... where Evo choked, Sylpheed
came thru.  And thank $DEITY that I use IMAP and "server side"
filtering.  Even though I suddenly was using a different MUA, I
still could read all my mail, and it all got dropped into the
correct folders.)

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi