Re: [Evolution] Re: Hyperlinks

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Yavor Doganov wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:49:23 +0200, Roland Orre wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Alan Wilcox wrote:
I've just begin using Evolution <...>

For firefox (and mozilla) I have a shell script <...>

This is very dirty. On Debian systems, you have to define your system-wide
preferred browser asf:

# update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

This doesn't solve the problem. First I can not configure whatever
browser I want, I can not tell e.g.
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser /usr/local/bin/firefox
and if I do
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
it says:
There is only 1 program which provides x-www-browser
(/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox). Nothing to configure.

I have several browsers under /usr/local/ which I don't want to
mix with the installation from the distribution and I guess I should
not  go and change the link
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
manually, that is at least as dirty.

Anyway, if I use this and sets the browser in
gnome->System->Preferences->Preferred Applications
to sensible-browser %s
then it occasionally tries to start a new browser application
from evolution, depending on how I have started the browser
before, apart from that it opens the new page in the last
opened browser window in the same workspace as I'm running
the browser. This is not what I want. I want a new fresh
window in the  current workplace where I'm running evolution.
And for that I now need to go through a custom shell script.

I had problems printing directly from Firefox/mozilla as well,

You need Firefox compiled with Xprint support (no problem under Debian).

Are you sure?
As I remember I could not get it working nicely in debian either after
switching to cups. But obviously firefox is not compiled with xprint
nowadays (not in the downloads from mozilla.org at least).
It seems as firefox expects a printer command which reads from stdin.
Now  I've found one, lp, which works with Firefox, when I specify
lp -d xerox
in the printer properties it works fine.