Re: [Evolution] [Fwd: Re: Tunning for large number of files in INBOX]

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 10:31 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 09:33 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 10:09 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 11:37 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
A huge slowness for Evo IMAP is the fact that it has to ask for
whole-headers in order to support vfoldering on mailing-lists,
attachment icons in the message-list, etc.

This is only 'much faster' if the server caches this info - some do not,
and infact have to create the info from the header anyway.  Fetching
headers isn't really the problem with evo's imap - this is only done
once.

true... but it seems many do cache this info. Even GroupWise caches it
now I think :)

Evo already does cache-but-not-cache them in:
    ~/.evolution/mail/imap/<account>/folders/INBOX

It looks like only new headers need to be fetched each time.

we were talking about server caching of the ENVELOPE data such that
internal data format into MIME and then parse them to extract the
headers to build the ENVELOPE response each time ,then it might actually
be faster to get the full header block.

Um, ok.  Looks like I got confused when reading about "whole-headers"
and "Fetching headers".

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out."
s. keeling