Re: [Evolution] How set a default domain for domainless emails??? e.g. sendto: Fred

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 11:02 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 16:23 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 07:51 +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:
This will not work if your ISP blocks SMTP from general users.

The solution in that case is to use MSA -- which is basically just
SMTP
on port 587. See RFC2476.

Hmmm, I hadn't heard of that one. I'll check it out. Of course maybe the
common clients don't support it (we're not an Evo-only universe :-)

The vast majority of clients support that.
However it mandates STARTTLS and AUTH which pretty much knocks out many
versions of Outlook (which assumes you want to do SMTPS rather than
STARTTLS if you are using a port it doesn't have hard-wired in).

        Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel Metheringham InTechnology co uk ]