Re: [Evolution] Feature requests - My list

Dropping 3 of 4 already answered points...

3) Ability to set an e-mail folder to move all mail before a certain
point to an archive folder.  (Which can be burned off to DVD or some
other location.)  I know I can do it with a separate Perl script, but I
would prefer a method that does not require rebuilding the indexes each
time.)  This one would help with large collections of mail and machines
with less than a gig of memory.  (On my old system I had to close
everything to get to my mail due to the amount of folders.)

I assume by "require rebuilding the indexes" you mean rebuilding it from
scratch, cause you altered the local mbox files bypassing Evolution?

Then there might be a workaround to ease your "pain". (Although the
indexing files will need to be changed too, but it should be way faster,
since Evo knows about the mails and needs to remove some indexed mails
only.)

You can create vFolders to hold mails older than a given date or older
than x months/days/hours ago. (Use Received rather than Date to not
suffer from incorrectly administrated senders machines.)

You can then move those mails easily to an archive folder or export (to
a file) and delete them. No need to close Evolution and re-indexing
should be pretty fast.

HTH

...guenther