Re: [Evolution] Comments and questions on the Evolution mailer

A thing just recently discovered: If I attach a file I cannot preview it
before submitting it! Isn't this a missing feature?? Perhaps one want to
check that the correct file was attached and review it's content??

You can use Nautilus -- edit/view the file by launching the associated
application and drag'n'drop the file to the Composer when done. [1] If
you are unsure and don't trust the file name to contain what it reads...

If you think, this is a missing feature, feel free to file a wish list
"bug" in bugzilla.

Evolution /itself/ should not offer to edit any attachments, IMHO.
Although this would be possible with some (plain text) attachments, this
sure will fail with archives, images, ...

The attachment pane could however offer launching the associated
application, just like Nautilus -- although this will be a viewer rather
than an editor in a lot of cases.

Well, thinking about it, this feature likely would lead to an FAQ like
the infamous "default browser" one: "I edited the attachment as offered
by Evolution, and now the 'source' file on my disk is changed as well.
Isn't editing an attachment meant to edit the attachment only?"
"No." ;-)

Or is
this a part of the whole story about attachments, don't allow any
changes.

The mail sent to you is a document. Someone else intended it to be just
like it is. If you want to change it or any attachment, you will need a
local copy of your own.

FWIW, I just checked Mozilla and it doesn't allow neither editing nor
viewing attachments in the Composer as well. Does any MUA allow such
action?

...guenther

[1] yes, I do this myself sometimes