Re: [Evolution] Migration of existing evolution to new partition?

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 07:22 +0000, Carlos Gonzalez wrote:
Thanks for the input Not Zed.  I appreciate it.  This
list seems pretty dead.  Am I on the wrong list or
something?  I've only gotten a couple of emails on any
subject in the last few days.
Weekend's are usually fairly quiet.  I guess either: nobody's using evolution; people are using it but are having no real problems; people are using it but are having problems but aren't saying anything, etc.  The list is quieter than it has been; I assume it generally "just works" for most people.
Thanks for the heads up on something I can do.  I am
still unable to find a reference somewhere regarding
where Evolution stores it's files and what it does
with them.  It's almost as if that kind of information
is being kept secret or something.  I have scoured the
Internet and have spent hours looking and looking and
runnning Evolution under strace control or using "find
/ -amin 1" type constructs to see if I might not be
able to discern what Evolution is doing and where.  I
have also left messages on this list and several
forums.  All to no avail.
I can only see one message (the parent of this one) that you have posted to this list (I have almost every message since may 2001 in my mailbox), at least from your current email address.
If nothing else I guess I will have to resort to
looking at the source code itself and tracing where it
does what manually but what a pain that's going to be.
Well, settings are stored in the "registry" (aka gconf), with other bulkier things stored in ~/.evolution/ (for 2.0.x).

Using strace wont always help since the physical files might be being accessed from other seemingly unrelated processes, such as gconfd-2 or evolution-data-server-1.0, etc.

There's really not much else to it, your best bet is the source, or ask specific questions on this list.  There are many references in the archives to "migration" of data and backing up data, its basically the #1 Frequently-asked & answered-Question.

  !Z