[Evolution] Font size

I've been running Fedora Core 3 with Evolution 2.0.2.  To test the appearance of email messages I send when using Evolution in FC3, I've been sending test messages to my own email address.  In Preferences, I chose the 'Arial' TrueType font, size 12.

Why isn't the displayed font size in the compose window the same displayed font size in the received message view window?
Why are they different?

Changing the font size in Preferences appears to have no effect on the displayed font size in the compose window.  Why not?

I have several older friends who are visually impaired.  When I increment the font size in the compose window (e.g. +1, +2) using the capability in the compose window itself, why does the font size revert to '0' when I press the carriage return <Enter>?  I would prefer that it retain the setting until I choose to manually change it again.

Having specified a sans serif font (Arial) in Preferences, why is a serif font used in in the received message window?