Re: [Evolution] how to upgrade to the upcoming version of Evolution?

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 19:40 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
hi jeff,

Am Montag, den 12.12.2005, 02:53 +0900 schrieb Jeff Co:
I heard that a new version of Evolution is coming out this Monday,
December 12.

yes, it will be the experimental version 2.5.3.

It will be a developer/unstable version. I hear that this version will
clear up a lot of bugs from the current version.

who says that? and who says that there won't be more new bugs introduced
than old ones fixed? ;-)

How do I upgrade to this upcoming version?
I'm a Ubuntu breezy user. If you can help, please provide step-by-step
instuctions, easy enough for a newbie to understand.

ubuntu packages are only provided by the distribution maintainers
themselves, but not by the gnome or evolution folks. i guess you need to
switch to ubuntu dapper and ask them to check out evolution 2.5.3.
of course you can also (and always) compile from source, but i don't
think that this is an easy way for a newbie - it also took me quite some
time before i succeeded in compiling non-trivial applications on my own.

don't get me wrong, i don't want to say "do not use 2.5.3", i just want
to stress that unstable versions are experimental. nearly everything can
happen, you can lose data or have new crashes or freezes where you would
have never expected them before. one should really reflect on if it's
worth to use an unstable version instead of a stable version.

the stable versions also do fix a lot of bugs. to which bugs exactly do
you refer to? what is it that makes you unhappy? :-)

cheers,
andre

so how will Fedora Core 4 users upgrade? there are some odd bugs going
on. for instance - pilot syncing STINKS! i can get my clie pegsj30 to
sync with kpilot but not with evolution.

will i be able to update with yum?

thank you.