[Evolution] Evo2.03 headaches again

Hi all,

I apologise for the negative tone of the subject, but after so many years of excellent Evolution, I have had a string of difficulties with Evo2. I know it is a fragile thing, but I caused this problem myself. I will try to be concise.

Dual boot: Mandrake 10.1 / WinXP (just to keep the employer happy)
Needed to reload WinXP, but instead of using the Install disk of Mandrake in a "rescue" mode I did a reinstall without selecting any packages, and without formatting anything. Previously I was user 501, now there were some programmes in my user space that were owned by 502 - bummer. chown -R andrew:andrew /home/andrew/*

Went to fire up Evo and it wants to convert all of my previous data, then I get complaints about identical mailboxes so I chose "append" to be safe. Now it wants me to setup my accounts again, but crashes immediately after "apply". I get the following error message

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-andrew/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied 2: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-andrew/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied)

Now I have a /usr/bin/gconfd-1 file, should I just rename this?

There is nothing in /tmp/gconfd-andrew at all

I read the document at projects/gconf/ but am none the wiser. I shut down the nfslockd and restarted it.

Evo 1.2.8 was as good as it gets from my memory, things were very straightforward, why is the current complexity desirable?

At any rate I have a lot of addresses I need to preserve and a lot of email. How do I extract this from the current mess and use that data to populate a new, fresh install of Evo?

Thanks

Andrew Greig