Re: [Evolution] IMAP filter question

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 11:31 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 17:34, John Schmidt wrote:
I just switched to IMAP and filters aren't automatically working.
Should I have to manually execute "Apply Filters" on new messages in
my Inbox?

I've re-created a couple of filters and I've turned on the  "Apply
filters to new messages in INBOX on this server" option.  I thought
that combination should do the trick but it doesn't.

The option should really say 'Apply filters to unseen messages....' -
and the "unseen" applies to all applications that read your inbox - so
if you access your imap account via another route (another MUA or even a
new mail notifier) then the messages are "seen" and the filters don't
apply.  Think of it another way - the messages in bold are "unread",
they aren't necessarily "new".

This is actually very illuminating, thanks.

<rant>
Why isn't this kind of information in the Help? After reading this post,
I spent 15 minutes going through the builtin help and can find no
mention of this. In fact the discussion of filters doesn't say when they
are supposed to be applied, and doesn't even refer to the "Apply filters
to unseen messages" option let alone explain it.

I'm afraid this is a common occurrence with Evo Help. It seems to be
written as an introductory guide, which is fine as far as it goes, but
after using Evo for a while what you really want is a reliable and
complete *reference* guide, an entirely different animal.

There isn't even an index, and there's no way to search the entire text
except page by page.

Yeah I know, "why don't you write it, etc. etc."
</rant>

poc