Re: [Evolution] evo 2

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 19:50, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 19:30 -0400, Kelly J. Morris wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 19:09, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 15:08 -0400, jack wallen wrote:
so i was reading up a bit on evo two on the footnotes site. from
what
i've read i might be glad i've not upgraded. sounds like there
were some
pretty major UI changes that, from the descriptions i've read,
don't
sound too enticing.

i think what surprises me the most is that evolution stands a
good
chance at getting a toe-hold in the corporate environment. this
is
partially because it has the element of familiarity (due to it's
similarities to outlook). but now that is changing i can imagine
people
decided to NOT migrate because it's "different" again.

not only that but the debate about making it 4 separate
components?
hello!!!! that would be a serious step backwards i would think.

it's been always 4 separate components. The difference in 2.0 is
that we
don't display all calendar/task/mail/contacts folders together,
but
separately, and that now it is much quicker, so really worth the
upgrade

Excuse me for being dense, but what exactly do you mean that "we
don't display all calendar/task/mail/contacts folders together, but
separately" ? Do they present as separate apps and each open in a
new
window,

they present in separated "tabs", so you see only mail folders when on
the mailer component, only calendar folders when on the calendar, etc

 or what? Or has the shortcuts column simply been eliminated in
favor of shortcut on a toolbar? Are there screenshots somewhere?
Thanks.

http://rubberturnip.org.uk/images/png/gnome-2.8_evolution-2.0.png

Rodrigo - Thanks on both counts. I don't particularly like the
positioning of the tabs in the southwest corner. There's a lot of open
real estate in the northeast part of the window on the toolbar that,
IMHO, would be easier to use if the tabs or shortcuts had been placed
there. But I can live with it, especially if my list of annoyances has
been reduced in this version. As long as my data doesn't get lost or
scrambled while upgrading... (I will, of course, back up). KJM