Re: [Evolution] imap...synchronization chaos ;)

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 11:35 +0200, Gábor Farkas wrote:
On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 16:47 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 10:14 +0200, Gábor Farkas wrote:
> > hi,

> > when i create an imap account i have an option to:
> > "Automatically synchronize remote mail locally".
> >
> > and also when i right click an imap folder,
> > i have an option to:
> > "Copy folder content locally for offline operation"
> It means that messages will be copied to the local hard disk as they
> arrive on the server.  The old code used to just copy it when you
> 'went offline', if it wasn't there already.
unfortunately it does not seem to be like that.
i tried the following approach:

1. i created a new imap account in evolution
2. i turned on the auto-sync-remote-mails in the imap account settings
3. i have an INBOX, and also several subdirectories. one of them is
'burn'
4. the INBOX was automatically updated (the number of new mails was
shown),
but not the subdirectories
5. i pressed the send/receive button. the number of unread mails was
updated for all folders.
6. not that i did not went into any of the subdirs.
7. i stopped the network connection (/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop)
8. i clicked on the 'burn' subdir.
9. evolution froze with a 'opening imap://blabla' in the status bar
10. i've killed evo because i did not want to wait (i assume there's a
timeout...)

you still have to go offline manually if you drop the connection.  the little connection button at the bottom of the window.

so, it does not seem to sync it... :((

is this a bug?
dont know.
you might have to restart for the connection to have full effect, in which case it will have to sync the previously opened folders manually (once).  i.e. by going offline.

also it relies on some server flags which any client isn't guaranteed to get.  so if they dont, again you need to go offline manually for it to sync properly.

i am using gentoo linux...
i've checked it, and gentoo only applies a small patch to 1.5.93, which
adds libcamel.la to the list of libraries...
gentoo does a lot of other dodgey things though.
(and i use your vertical-layout patch ;) ..btw. any chance of getting
this accepted into evo?)
i don't know.  its not very usefor for everyone without a lot more work.
so it seems i am using a pretty normal evo-1.5.93...

> > is this possible to achieve with those offline-sync options in
> > evolution?
>
> > because when in the past i tested some mail clients, they only fetched
> > the mails
> > when you chose to go offline.
> > but that's not good enough. i don't want to have to do it manually, and
> > also don't
> > want to wait sooo looong while he fetches all my mail (offlineimap only
> > transfersthe differences, so it's pretty fast).
> See above.
>
> If you're using something that works, I suggest you just stick to
> that.  I would think offlineimap will be a lot faster at the actual
> data transfer than Evolution.  Evolution only transfers the new data
> required too, but the actual transfer speed suffers a lot if you have
> any latency in the link.
latency is not really an issue here,
because i am imap-fetching my mail always on broadband connections.
(when i am on a gprs connection, i use the goodo old ssh + mutt
combination ;)

thanks a lot,
gabor farkas

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"born to die, live to work, it's all downhill from here"