[Evolution] imap...synchronization chaos ;)

hi,

i am using evolution-1.5.93.

when i create an imap account i have an option to:
"Automatically synchronize remote mail locally".

and also when i right click an imap folder,
i have an option to:
"Copy folder content locally for offline operation"

i am confused..what those options do EXACTLY?

here's what i am trying to achieve:

for now i use offlineimap.
it's a program, that every 5 minutes synchronizes my remote
imap mailbox to a local maildir directory.

and i've set up evolution to read my mail from the local maildir
directory?
why?
because this way my mail stays on the server (so i can just delete/loose
my local copy without loosing any data), it's accessible from other
places too,
but it's also on my laptop, so i can read my already-downloaded mail
anytime.

is this possible to achieve with those offline-sync options in
evolution?

because when in the past i tested some mail clients, they only fetched
the mails
when you chose to go offline.
but that's not good enough. i don't want to have to do it manually, and
also don't
want to wait sooo looong while he fetches all my mail (offlineimap only
transfers
the differences, so it's pretty fast).

thanks,
gabor