Re: [Evolution] MailDir + unSYNC + Invalid Root on Evo 1.4.6

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 19:12 +0800, Not Zed wrote:

I notice from your other mails you're using maildir + reiserfs.

"hmm".  All I can say is I had a lot of weird problems with reiser,
and then I changed it over to ext3, and i've had fewer (although not
none either :-/).  Maildir would probably compound any problems due to
the sheer number of files involved.

No, that was me, and the ReiserFS in kernel 2.6 has been quite
solid.

[snip]

Maildir will only speed up 2 things in evolution if everything is
working normally:
- expunging deleted messages
- if you use colours/labels a lot, since mbox saves them to the actual
mail file as well as the summary file.

Otherwise it wont really be any different, and in some cases may be
slower.  e.g. it's much more involved to check a directory for new
files than it is to just check the end of a big file for new content.

Interesting.

What if you have the situation of squirrelly email servers that
is causing email to be days (1 to 14, in the case of some mailing
lists) late.  Is it all just tacked on to the end of the mbox,
with your index file keeping track of the order?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

Tatoo in haste, regret in leisure.