Re: [Evolution] Removing dupes

I recently went from Evolution 1.4 to 2.0.  Evolution 2 informed me that
the location where messages were stored was different and started
importing all of my old messages.  When it finished, it popped up a box
asking me whether it should delete or save the old messages.  I told it
to delete them and Evolution crashed.

I restarted it and it again informed me that the location was different
and started to import the messages.  Then it complained that the
directory it was trying to create already existed.  I told it to
overwrite the directory and it continued.  I got the same error several
more times.

This time, Evolution finished the import without crashing.  The problem
is that both imports worked - I now have two copies of every message in
my archives, which is close to 100MB of messages (now taking up almost
200MB.)  Is there any way or any tool to go through and weed out the
duplicate messages?

Now did you let Evo remove the old data, or did it work with removing
only?

If you still got that data and haven't retrieved and new mails or
altered data like Contacts, you could follow the steps mentioned in my
"Force Migration FAQ".

Manually deleting the mails actually could be pretty easy, as your mails
are split into two exactly same copies (top and bottom half) when /not/
sorting at all. But as I haven't done this myself, I would at least
double check, that this assumption is correct... ;)

There is another possibility to remove duplicates. I already posted it a
couple of times in here. Once again:

I just searched my archives. For the script itself and a couple of
warnings, caveats and notes, please read this link (maybe the whole
discussions) and all links mentioned there.

http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2004-May/037188.html

Use it at your own risk. And make backups of your mail first. Paranoia
saves your day.

HTH

...guenther