Re: [Evolution] Multiple Copies of Messages

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 14:24 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 08:47 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Seven words: This particular ISP does not support IMAP.

In fact most commercial ISPs don't support it, which is kind of
understandable from their point of view. They prefer to hand off the
mail and forget it, rather than being responsable for the care and
feeding of many potentially large mailboxes. Corporate mail is a totally
different story and IMAP fits in well. Which is why I use it on my
corporate account.

Guess I shouldn't have been so terse... :(

Run an IMAPd on your home server.  Then, expose it to the world
via webmail, which you don't like, or imaps (port 993), since
you (reasonably) want to use Evo.

Two problems:

1) I don't have a home server. I have a bunch of machines including
WinXP, Fedora 3 and MacOS X, all sharing the same ADSl connection. The
FC3 and MacOS machines are laptops and hence not suitable as servers.

2) My ISP gives me an ADSL connection to a variable IP address. I know
there are ways round this but it's a pain.

Combine it with something like fetchmail (or getmail).  You could
then tie it in with SpamAssassin and/or a filter like maildrop.

Here's the step-by-step process for creating the local-access
installation:
http://www.firstpr.com.au/web-mail/RH90-Postfix-Courier-Maildrop-IMAP/

Thanks for the reference.

poc