Re: [Evolution] Move behavior and remote trash folder

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:31:02 -0500
Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj ximian com> wrote:

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 23:02 +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
Hi all,

[snip]
  However, there is no way (or at least I can't see it) to change the
  location of the Trash folder.  It keeps using a top level trash folder
  (listed inside the imap account tree) that seems to be local.

that's because the Trash folder isn't a real folder, it's a virtual
folder.

the way Trash works is that it knows about all messages in all folders
marked for deletion and displays them. This is how IMAP was intended to
work by Mark Crispin, the author of the IMAP specification (and in fact
is how Pine works as well afaik).

Oooh, that explains everything.

  This makes it
  impossible to apply the approach outlined above to manually move
  false negatives to the Spam folder, because a duplicate will be
  stored in the trash (i.e., in the Archive).

why is Trash archived at all? it's Trash. e.g. stuff you don't give a
rats arse about. If you care about it, then it isn't Trash.

Because I use the mails in the archive to train bogofilter with ham mails.
And the easiest way to acomplish this is to make the trash folder the same
as the archive.  I could train it using the inbox, but then, if there is
any false negative in it, it will be learnt as ham instead of spam.
(I know, it can happen the other way around: a false positive will be learnt
as spam... but this doesn't usually happen hehe)

  Could this be changed to a more normal behavior?

with a lot of work, perhaps.

Given that IMAP is expected to work this way (thanks for your explanations),
I'm now not so sure that implementing another behavior could be good ;)

Anyway, thanks again for the points, and thanks to Ron for his courier
tips (I'll have to look at them later).  I was clearly missing some details
about IMAP.

I'm open to suggestions on my approach to handle mail so that it gets
Evolution-friendly ;)

Kind regards,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv menta net>