Re: [Evolution] Move behavior and remote trash folder

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 23:02 +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
Hi all,

[snip]
  However, there is no way (or at least I can't see it) to change the
  location of the Trash folder.  It keeps using a top level trash folder
  (listed inside the imap account tree) that seems to be local.

that's because the Trash folder isn't a real folder, it's a virtual
folder.

the way Trash works is that it knows about all messages in all folders
marked for deletion and displays them. This is how IMAP was intended to
work by Mark Crispin, the author of the IMAP specification (and in fact
is how Pine works as well afaik).

  I want it to use the trash folder in the server, so that deleting a
  message "archives" it.  In fact, I want no local mail _at all_.

Delete on IMAP doesn't move mail, it just sets a flag on the message
(\Deleted)

  Is this "feature" unavailable on purpose?

yes. users want to be able to later "undelete" a message in Trash and
have it go back to where it was originally (same folder, same location
in said folder). This is not possible if we really moved the message out
of the original folder.

  If not, could it be added?
  Looks like it should be easy, given it's already present for Drafts
  and Sent.

the ease of adding this feature has nothing to do with Sent/Drafts
folders as it will be nothing like those folders as far as functionality
goes.

- Whenever I move a mail between folders, a copy of it appears in the
  trash.

think about what a move operation is for a minute, especially
considering that IMAP has no notion of "move", only COPY and STORE
+FLAGS (\Deleted)

  Eww, I've _moved_ it, not _deleted_ it.

yes you have, you've COPY'd it to another folder and deleted it.

  This makes it
  impossible to apply the approach outlined above to manually move
  false negatives to the Spam folder, because a duplicate will be
  stored in the trash (i.e., in the Archive).

why is Trash archived at all? it's Trash. e.g. stuff you don't give a
rats arse about. If you care about it, then it isn't Trash.

  It also leaves additional copies of messages in the trash when you
  move huge volumes of mail.

they aren't copies, they're the originals...located in the original
folder.

  Is this behavior intended?

yes

  If so, which is the rationale behind it?

read above comments

  Could this be changed to a more normal behavior?

with a lot of work, perhaps.

  AFAICT, no other
  mail client behaves like this...

if every mail client was the same, what'd be the point of multiple mail
clients? :)

If any of these get a positive answer, what should I do?  Open a bug
report with "wishlist" priority?

there's already a feature request for what you want sitting in bugzilla
somewhere.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast