[Evolution] Character representation

I'm having a problem with single quotes in a mailing list.

I *think* this is a problem with the mailing list.

The single quote character appears like a domino.  A cut and paste
should show you what I mean.

Welcome to what is probably the biggest ever BBC Comedy newsletter! If
the postman wasnÂt digital heÂd probably have a bad back.

THE BIRO-WEB DOODLE DIARY
DidnÂt your mother tell you not to eat sweets you find on the pavement?
When I view the email source the quotes disappear
Welcome to what is probably the biggest ever BBC Comedy newsletter! If
the postman wasnt digital hed probably have a bad back.

THE BIRO-WEB DOODLE DIARY
Didnt your mother tell you not to eat sweets you find on the pavement?

But, if the message is bounced from where I forward it (via a procmail
recipe), it's fine.

I'm puzzled.  Any ideas.  Evolution 1.4.6, compiled from source.

--
A priest advised Voltaire on his death bed to renounce the devil.
Replied Voltaire, "This is no time to make new enemies."