Re: [Evolution] Syncing Palm w/Evo 2.x

Message: 13
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Syncing Palm w/Evo 2.x
From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel Metheringham dev intechnology co uk>
Cc: Greg Macek <it-guy mrichi com>,
        Evolution List <evolution lists ximian com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:26:53 +0000

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 12:03 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

Works for me (or did when I was testing it prior to release).

I think I'd limit that a little...

Evolution 2.0 will sync *one* addressbook/calendar/task-list to a palm.
The one chosen is, I think, the first one you see in the
contacts/calendar/tasks folder list.

This is fine for most people.  If you are using exchange connector
several bets are probably off.  To make matters worse, if it does work
with exchange, it has problems deciding whats changed...

Private/public data within calendar stuff appears to be handled
correctly.

Palm and Evolution categories are completely ignored.

However, for basic use it works very well - for example I do sync my
calendar and contacts data and use that all the time very reliably (I
don't normally use the tasks stuff which is why I am not mentioning it).
I gave up using exchange-connector at all after I started upsetting MIS
by apparently corrupting stuff on the exchange server (which I don't
care about anyway).

I have used Palms with Linux for a number of years, and my continued use is one of the reasons why I am not a full Evo convert yet.

Palm with JPilot works like a charm, but has limited interoperability with calendars outside of Jpilot. Also has as an advantage a number of plugins (I use Keyring a lot)

Palm with Evo works mostly, but not as rock solid as a dedicated program as Jpilot. Depending on how and where I create appointments, not all get sync'ed (yet to find out exactly how). One aspect I've found (since I share my .evoluton between two computer) is that it matters where I create an appointment. If I create a new appointment in Evo on the main workstation, it syncs 98% of the time. If I create a new appointment on the laptop that shares the .evolution directory (it NFS exports it to the workstation), it never syncs it. Possibly a very idiosyncratic setup, but it worked fine with Jpilot...

--
Lars Vilhuber                    lists all cloutier-vilhuber net