Re: [Evolution] Evo: backing up & restoring to new machine

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 09:42 +0200, Bram Mertens wrote:
On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 17:08, Not Zed wrote:
> For local email, the important locations are ~/evolution or
> ~/.evolution >= version 1.5.
>
> If you do them, you will get all your local email back, regardless of
> any other settings.
>
> Add
> ~/.gconf/apps/evolution
>
> if you also want your settings (version 1.4 or later, otherwise just
> ~/evolution).
>
> But you must shutdown gconf before restoring the files otherwise it
> may not pick them up properly.
> (gconftool-2 --shutdown).  Also you should shut it, and evolution,
> down before taking the backup, for consistency.
[...]

Interesting, seems like my backups aren't that foolproof as I thought
them to be...

Are there any issue we should be aware of when shutting down the gconf
daemon this way?

gconftool-2 --help says:
  --shutdown                                     Shut down gconfd. DON'T USE
                                                 THIS OPTION WITHOUT GOOD
                                                 REASON.
I'm not running gnome (fluxbox) but I might have other gnome apps
running while creating a backup, could they experience problems when
this daemon is shut down?
Perhaps. I'm not entirely sure.  If you're doing a backup you probably want to shut down everything anyway.  Certainly you may wish to backup all application configuration at the same time.

And on the flip side - it is absolutely necessary to do this for a restore, but isn't as required for a backup.  If your apps are quiesent gconf isn't going to be writing to those files anyway.  Depends on how lucky you feel I guess.

And how should this daemon be restarted?  Will starting evo take care of
this?  Reading the help I would assume this is the case:
  --spawn                                        Launch the config server
                                                 (gconfd). (Normally happens
                                                 automatically when needed.)
yes it will restart as required.

Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>

Ximian Evolution and Free Software Developer

Novell, Inc.