Re: [Evolution] Final Leap

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 12:44 -0400, Wise, Jeremey wrote:
Ok, I have used evolution for several weeks now as my production system.
I just received my new laptop and finished installing SuSE 9.0 on it and
have a few questions and looking for direction.

1) SuSE 9.0 has EVO 1.4 support. Is 1.5x worth the jump or a better way
to put it.. is it stable enough for a person of reasonable technical
savy-ishness?

2) I am finding that many of my emails were saved and archived into
offline PO with Outlook 2003 and I will have to boot that up and do some
form of import. My thought was to drag them back into a new "Archive"
folder but their are a couple of issues with that.
      a) I have a 50MB limit on my mailbox and with diagrams and such we are
looking at about 350MB. That is a lot of copy-up copy-down.

I have no idea what you can do about that. You might be able to use
Mozilla (on Windows) to import them which would convert them into mbox
format. Then you could copy those files over to your Linux machine and
import those files into Evolution.

      b) To archive them on my laptop for referenced or searching I will need
to create the archive folder in my "Local Folders" mailbox which stores
all contents in ~/evolution. It appears that mail storage is in a single
file (similar to what Outlook did).

???

Each mailbox has a different file (usually in mbox format unles you've
changed it).

 What impact will this have on
searching based on key words in the subject or body? (aka Outlook was
next to impossible to locate historical data or find notes on an old
case or issue).

searching in Evolution based on subject strings (or even body searches,
assuming you haven't turned body indexing off) is extremely fast.

      c) Is their an import tool from an Outlook Archive?

no.

      *** Maybe the issue here is that I still do not understand the function
and resouce ability of "VFolders" I have lurked on the list for some
time and they apear to be only usefull for building searching / views of
emails but can someone point me to "VFolder 101 Primer"

3) My end goal is to have all inbound email for my Exchange user come in
and be moved "offline" after being sorted. I would aSSume that this
would mean moving all email from my jeremey wise agilysys com mailbox to
my "Local Folders" mailbox. Would this mean that I create a rule that
move "*" to folder "Local Folders\inbox" then run rules to sort?

what are you using? imap? or pop? or exchange connector?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.