[Evolution] To: field dropdown steals focus from compose window

I am running Evolution 1.4.6 here, with gnome 2.4, gtk+ 2.2.4 and
metacity 2.6.3.  There seems to be a very annoying issue with the
address match dropdown when typing into the (for example) To: field when
composing a message.  It doesn't seem to happen every time, but it's
often enough be very annoying.

In evolution, I click New on the menubar to compose a new message.  A
new composition window comes up and has input focus due to metacity's
(PITA if you ask me) policy that new windows always get focus.  This is
fine so far.

I start typing into the To: field and after 3 characters I get a list of
matching addresses in a dropdown box.

The problem is that about half the time, as the dropdown box appears,
the compose window loses input focus and I am unable to give focus to
any other window, presumably because while the dropdown box is active,
focus cannot be assigned anywhere else.

I am now left with no windows in focus and no way to focus any windows
and since the compose window is among the "no windows in focus" I cannot
continue typing or choose an address list from the dropdown.  I have to
either go to another machine and log in remotely (or change to another
VT) and kill evolution.

Is this an evolution bug (not likely) a gtk+ bug or a metacity bug?

b.

Brian J. Murrell