Re: [Evolution] No way yet to make maildir default format ?

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 19:37 -0500, John J. Foster wrote:

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 10:14, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
Can this be done yet?

no. in fact, 1.5 doesn't allow you to change the default folders away
from mbox format anymore because the on-disk tree structure of the
folders changed which makes it harder to do.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't maildir a more efficient
format for alot of users? Why take that choice away?

Maildir has advantages in some usage scenarios.

We took the choice away because a lot of code changed, and it just
didn't seem important enough to put back in.

At some point in the future we may add an option to set the whole local
mailbox tree format, although i'm not sure about a way to change it
after its been set.

This makes searching for individual emails with tools like grep
impossible.

That is plainly incorrect.

If so, how?
If not, why?

Probably a combination of the following:

- never got around to it
huh
- not enough users cared
There seemed to a bunch of interest in the archives.
- no one submitted a patch
Isn't that what you do?

That was a list of 'or' options.

Check bugzilla to see how much other stuff we have to deal with, if your
favourite feature dropped off the radar, its bad luck really.

And besides, there is already a solution exists that will work for 99%
of users who care enough about it.  Just setup a new 'mail account' of
type maildir and point the path to your maildir installation.  And
change a few folders like drafts and sent.  End of story.

Actually, having evolution-managed folders, which are in a variable
format, is mostly useless.  The whole point of maildir is accessing mail
in-place, rather than having to copy stuff around to the application.