Re: [OT] Re: [Fwd: Re: [Evolution] read receipt function in evo]

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 13:38, guenther wrote:
> And, there's a very real and legitimate reason to ask for a return
> receipt.

Supporting read receipts would be a feature worth implementing, agreed.
(Although I am speaking for others here only, as I will never ever use
it.)

Anyway, folks need to understand that requesting a read receipt and not
getting anything in return *is* *not* an *evidence* of not reading the
mail. Which folks don't understand.

>From what I recall, there are two separate notifications under the standard.  One indicates the message was delivered.  The other indicates that the message was opened.  Neither indicates that the user actually looked at and comprehended the message, but it's a start.

> It's not an invasion of privacy.

It actually is.
If I recall correctly (and I admit I might not), the standard allows for an implementation in which both types of notification can be refused.  There's your privacy.

> Unless Ximian implements some features that aren't important to Ximian
> but are important to its users, evo will be relegated to "toy" status.
> I'm currently struggling to remain with my current distro of SuSE
> +Ximian in my business, but the lack of meaningful support in both
> components is forcing my hand to look around for another solution.
[...]

Do whatever pleases you. You don't expect to get features implemented by
comments like the above, do you?

Well, like I said, I posted the request in bugzilla for evo 0.8.  From what I recall, it was one of the more popular requests at that time.  Each upgrade I do, I look for that feature (e.g., 1.2, 1.4, etc.).  Here I am at evo 1.4.6 and it's still not implemented.  Holding back comments like the above hasn't seemed to help much.

And, the above quote wasn't an attempt to get this particular feature implemented.  It was simply a statement of fact.  I'm currently trying to buy support from Ximian (for other problems) but I can't seem to do it.  Their site bounced me to Novell's site and that site had no reference to Ximian support (at least none that I found -- again, I admit to human fallibilty and may have just overlooked it, but I looked pretty carefully).  I have e-mail to Novell support asking how to buy Ximian support -- can't tell if it's been delivered ;-).  I have another, separate post in the users list for help getting paid support.  How many other business users can you think of that would put up with this as long as I have (months, if anyone is counting)?

Personally, I find it rather amazing that I can't find someone to take my money on behalf of Ximian.  I'm sure the offers will start pouring in from list members; however, I need someone who can actually credit my support account.

Anyway, I hope that lends perspective to my earlier post.

Regards.
--
James D. Ivey <james iveylaw com>
Law Offices of James D. Ivey