Re: [Evolution] migration from Evo 1.4?

hi frank,

Am Mi, den 02.06.2004 um 13:23 Uhr -0400 schrieb Frank Lynch:
Hi Folks,
Apologies if this is a RTFM, but I couldn't find any obvious info on
this.
I'm currently using Evo 1.4 and I'm quite happy with it. I'm seriously
thinking about making the leap to 2.0. I'm wondering if there is any
risk involved in doing this. Will I loose any of my email, contacts,
filters, calander or any other data?

1.4 uses the directory "$HOME/evolution"; 1.5 uses its own directory
($HOME/.evolution). therefore if you change mail and contacts and
appointments in 1.5 this will not affect 1.4-data, but evo-settings are
stored in gconf so if you change them in 1.4 it will also affect 1.5 and
the other way round...

If there is a list of manual steps that need to be followed can someone
point me in the right direction?
Does evo 1.5 silently import everything from 1.4, or do I need to run
some special import tool?

i myself first made a backup of my 1.4-data, then
"evolution --force-shutdown"
and then i installed evo1.5.
when first starting evo-1.5 i forced migration from 1.4:
"evolution-1.5 --force-migrate".

Is there a recommended way of installing Evo 1.5? should I just grab it
via a snapshot from red-carpet, or should I just bite the bullet and
build it from source?

use what you prefer...

hope that helped a little bit,
andre