Re: [Evolution] 1.4.6 to 1.5 Migration Experiance

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 08:35 -0400, Wise, Jeremey wrote:
Just wanted to post my experiances in transition from stable 1.4.6 to
1.5. I had a lot of little issues with SuSe 9.0 and figured I would try
jumping to 9.1 before I started complaining. Nothing major but things
that make life with Linux less then elegant.
I couldn't get my mouse to work at all on 9.0 so it wasn't just elegance for me :-/
2) Post install  it took me only a few minutes to find out how to import
all my 1.4.6 mail (copy of my old hard drives /home/'username'/evolution
direcotry)into 1.5. "evolution-1.5  --force-migrate". This imported all
my mail but did not import my mail server settings and preferances. I
remember their being a post about this but could not find it. I would
recommend their be some kind of "migrationn how-to" posted. When 1.4.6
to 2.x goes live. Maybe even a wizard from red-carpet?
Well we don't really have a 'migration' path, we only have an 'upgrade' path.  i.e. it will upgrade an existing install, but there is no export/import functionality at all.

If you were just upgrading you'd have a fully copy of ~/ which includes ~/.gconf where the settings are stored now.
3) The new interface is very nice. I would like the flexability to
shrink the bottom left buttons (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks,
Exchange) as I have a lot of mailbxes I need to see open and all the
side space I can get is a help when I have to sort emails.
"me too".  I'm not sure why they are the full size toolbar button size but then it doesn't honour the toolbar options for layout (e.g. i use text only).

5) Their seem to still be some emails that show as having attachments
that do do not alow me to 'detatch' them. The email size indicates their
are attachments. I can forward it on an example if it is of use. I have
not found a pattern to help give direction (pdf in the one case).
I've never seen anything like this, at least as i'm reading it.  File a bug and attach it there or forward it directly to me if you don't want the whole world seeing it.
5) As for stability (their were some postings about issues with it on
9.1) I have had no issues. It has worked flawlessly on the stability
front.
It changes from week to week but in the last month or so its become very solid everywhere.
Thanks to all those who spend their days and nights coding and fixing
bugs. Your efforts are apreciated and are definatly worth it. I have had
quite a few people looking at evolution as an Outlook replacement
because of the quality of the product.
Cheers.
--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"born to die, live to work, it's all downhill from here"