Re: [Evolution] Of Filters, viruses, worms and trojans

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 22:02 -0500, L. Clayton Parker wrote:
On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 21:29, Ron Johnson wrote:
Veering a little OT (but still relevant to AV), why the heck do
you need to scan a Linux system for "over 90,000 viruses, worms,
and trojans"?

I'd sell you my son for a dollar a kilo if there was a virus on
your box.  Depending on (a)how effective your firewall is, (b) how
current you keep your system, and (c) whether you do stupid things
like telnet into your system from the outside, I'd be equally sur-
prised if you have a worm or trojan on it, either.

There are, in fact, viruses out there for Linux. It is true that there
aren't many, but they do exist. The first worm was designed specifically
for Unix. Firewalls do not stop virii and trojans from getting onto your
system. Keeping your system up to date will not prevent it either.
Installing Tripwire will tell you when it has happened, but will not
prevent it. Proper configuration of root priveleges will help
enormously, but even that can be spoofed (see the Elf virus).

By their nature, worms and trojans *can't* spread via a *ix MTA.
Only a vigorously, willfully idiotic person could get infected via
email on a *ix box.

You're thinking like a Windows administrator.  *ix worms and tro-
jans infect by exploiting bugs in daemons listening on ports.
Remember The Great Worm?  Sendmail was the vector, not mailx.
Sophos won't do a darned bit of good against something trying to
exploit httpd, ftpd, PHP, imapd, popd, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Abstract art? A product of the untalented, sold by the
unprincipled to the utterly bewildered."
Al Capp