Re: [Evolution] Of Filters, viruses, worms and trojans

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 19:33 -0500, L. Clayton Parker wrote:
I need a little help working out a method of filtering incoming messages
through a virus detector. I recently installed and ran Sophos' antivirus
product for Linux. Upon being instructed to do so, it scanned my entire
drive for over 90,000 viruses, worms, and trojans. This was quite a
lengthy process, but thankfully it does not need to be done often and a
cron job can handle that.

Veering a little OT (but still relevant to AV), why the heck do
you need to scan a Linux system for "over 90,000 viruses, worms,
and trojans"?

I'd sell you my son for a dollar a kilo if there was a virus on
your box.  Depending on (a)how effective your firewall is, (b) how
current you keep your system, and (c) whether you do stupid things
like telnet into your system from the outside, I'd be equally sur-
prised if you have a worm or trojan on it, either.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"During the procedure, generally performed in the second
trimester, a fetus is partially delivered and its skull is
punctured."
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040401/ap_on_
re_us/abortion_lawsuits&e=3