Re: [Evolution] Error while performing operation RCPT TO :

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 04:36, Chuck Amadi wrote:
Hi I have tried goooling and I note this has been mentioned quite alot but no
solutions to fix the to cause this error message.

If email address doesn't exist throws a wobbly !.Other Mail Clinets usually
tells you it doesn't exist or  sends the mail message and you receive a bounce
responce back and in the case you have Cc the other email address are still
sent .

all clients will throw an immediate error dialog if the recipient is
meant to be on the mail server (network) you are using to send the
message.

thus, if you are sending mail to foo bar com using the bar.com smtp
server, it will throw an immediate error dialog if foo does not exist.

if, however, you are sending mail to foo bar com using the baz.com mail
server and foo bar com does not exist, then you will get a mail saying
it could not send the message to said user.

this is because the baz.com mail server connects to bar.com and tries to
give that message to bar.com, but bar.com rejects it because user foo
does not exist.

I have received this error prompt when mistakenly typed the wrong email .

Error while performing operation:
RCPT TO <chuck.smtl.co.uk> failed: Requested action not taken: mailbox
unavailable

This happend when I tried to replicate and tried Cc.

Error while performing operation:
RCPT TO <susuan> failed: <susuan>... User unknown

What solution other than renaming the existing Evolution dir in ~/user home dir
to fix this problem or is it a bug.

what bug are you talking about? there is no bug here that I see...

everything you've stated tells me that it's either user error or your
mail server won't allow you to send to that user for some reason or
another. either the user doesn't exist or else you need to authenticate
for this particular server (?).

Jeff