Re: [Evolution] Message composition freezes regulary

I've never had this problem either and I use MDK 9.2 with 1.4.4 on a PII
laptop with only 256mb ram.

                    J Black

                    <evolution jblack org>       To:     Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj ximian com>

                    Sent by:                     cc:     evolution lists ximian com

                    evolution-admin lists        Subject:     Re: [Evolution] Message composition freezes
regulary
                    ximian.com

                    01/21/2004 11:31 PM

I've run some tests to see if it's just my main account thats screwed
up. What I did is:
* Created a new user id, logged out, logged in as the new user.
* When the first-time wizard appeared, chose Evolution as the mail
client and defined one pop3/smtp mail account.
* Started Evolution from the K -> Networking -> Mail menu
* It crashed, and gave me an option to report this to bugzilla at gnome,
but their bugzilla page says to report it to Ximian.
* Started Evolution again, and it worked.  (By the way, the first time I
started it on my "real" userid it crashed too, and it worked the second
time.)
* Went to Inbox.
* Opened a new window.
* Watched the cursor blink for 80 seconds, and decided it wasn't going
to misbehave unless I type something.
* Typed the letter "a", and watched the cursor.  It blinked vor about 20
seconds, then stopped for 5 seconds, then started blinking again.
waited for 60 seconds, and the cursor stopped blinking for 5 seconds.
* disabled the only mail account.  Turned off spell checking and "check
as I type".
* quit evolution, started it back up again.
* created a new message, typed "a", and waited.  sure enough, within one
minute the cursor stopped blinking for 5 seconds, then started again,
blinked for 60 seconds, stopped for 5, etc.

To reiterate, the reason I'm complaining isn't the non-blinking cursor,
but the fact that the characters I type stop appearing during this
5-second pause, which is really rather annoying and breaks my train of
thought and affects productivity.

- Jesse, using Mandrake 9.2 and Evolution 1.4.4