[Evolution] upgrading 1.2.2

I'm thinking of upgrading 1.2.2, primarily to see if it's any quicker
when running on a remote X display.

1) what do I need to back up prior to upgrade? Presumably some stuff has
changed in the ~/evolution tree between the versions so something later
than 1.2.2 will get very upset if I simply overwrite the new tree
post-install with the old one containing all my settings and mail :-)

2) Running the install script from the ximian site should, presumably,
delete my old 1.2.2 installed version of ximian, install the later
version, and keep all of my mail settings from 1.2.2 anyway, correct?
(is there an upgrade FAQ anywhere? If not there should be ;-)

Presumably I run the install off the ximian site as root, that'll do the
package upgrade (I'm on redhat 9), then when I first run evolution under
each of the user accounts it'll notice that an upgrade has happened and
migrate all the data for that user automatically?

3) What *is* the version available on the ximian site? I can't see where
it says, short of actually running the installer and seeing what gets
installed (d'oh!). Seems like 1.4.x is ok, and lots of people don't like
1.5 due to UI changes, so I'd rather stick with 1.4.x.

cheers

Jules