[Evolution] MTA/MDA/Mail clients

Hello,

I am in the process of switching from mutt to evolution, and despite the
host of minor annoyances, I'm finding it quite enjoyable. My thanks to
the dev team for making such a great product!

I do have one comment regarding the whole mail sending/retrieval
strategy. I don't understand why evolution (and many other mail clients)
try to take on the role of the MTA. fetchmail and many sendmail clones
have been around for quite some time, and work well when configured
properly. I am a little dissappointed that I can not have fetchmail run
when I press the 'Send/Receive' button, or have any control over the
options passed to sendmail.

In addition, while skimming through the mailing lists, I've noticed a
number of emails from people who are interested in piping email to a
program, or redirecting it somewhere, filtering it in some way (perhaps
using spamassassin or another spam agent). The solutions to these
questions frequently seem to be something along the lines of, "We're
getting that feature into 1.5" or something like it. Programming in
static support for spam filtering (or any filtering, for that matter)
seems a little redundant when this can all be accomplish via procmail.

I am interested in hearing people's thoughts on these matters. I
certainly would like to reiterate: "Keep up the good work!"

-Peter