Re: [Evolution] Backup and Restore

From: guenther <guenther rudersport de>
To: "D. D. Brierton" <darren dzr-web com>
CC: "Celsun ." <tarcell hotmail com>, evolution lists ximian com
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Backup and Restore
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:04:24 +0100

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 20:01, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 18:14, Celsun . wrote:
>
> > Someone please point me in the right direction or post step-by-step
> > instructions for backing up and restoring Evolution.
> >
> > Following some of the posts on this list I did the following on MDK 9.1 to
> > backup Evo 1.4.5:
> >
> >       evolution --force-shutdown
> >
> >       pruned all indexing files mbox.* in ~/evolution/local/(sub) folders
> >
> >       In ~/evolution  tar czvf evolution.tar.gz evolution
>
> This seems odd. Which directory were you in when you ran the command
> "tar czvf evolution.tar.gz evolution"? Because from what you wrote above
> it appears that you were in ~/evolution and not in ~. In which case you
> have made a tarball of the contents of ~/evolution/evolution which is
> not what you wanted. This is what you should have done:
>
> evolution --force-shutdown
> cd ~
> find evolution -name "mbox.*" -exec rm -f '{}' ';'
> tar -cvzf evolution.tar.gz evolution

Ack.

guenther, this doesn't even begin to describe how I felt, when I realized all those e-mails, contacts, etc... were gone. :-( Even now, I try not to think about it.

Celsun, if you *really* used the command you initially mentioned, you
are very likely screwed. I am very sorry I have to say that. :-(

On the other hand, a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Darren, now I know how to backup and restore Evolution. :-)

guenther, the parts done correctly on my first attempt were from your posts on October 2003 - "Tips on restoring Evolution from backup" and November 2003 - "Mail folder file locations." Thank you. The parts that messed me up were from posts in late August and early September 2003. The confusing part of those posts was just a plain "cd". Yes, I'm new to Linux. :-) Thanks to Darren's "cd ~", now I know they both mean issue the commands from my home directory even if I'm already there. It never occurred to me to post what I'd pieced together to see if it was correct. :-|

Darren, thank you for your immediate replys and the step-by-step instructions. Tried it and it works!!! It's a shame it was a hard lesson learned. At least once a week, Evolution will be backed up since it's such a breeze now. :-) lol

However, as there is no ~/evolution/evolution/ directory, you may be
lucky, cause this fails with an error like this:

$ tar czvf temp.tar.gz NONEXISTENT
tar: NONEXISTENT: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

The resulting .tar.gz file is just some bytes large. Check this first.
Then, see the contents of your .tar.gz file, if you actually have any
content.

No, it's empty.  :-(

> > It turned out to be a big mess and even though I saw hundreds of files being > > archived, the archive file appears to be empty now. (46B) How and why did
> > this happen?

You should not have seen any file being archived (the v parameter is for
verbose, and thus any file archived is displayed while archiving).

Maybe I didn't state the above correctly. After I typed "tar czvf evolution.tar.gz evolution", the screen scrolled real fast displaying the files.

46 Bytes does look empty, though. :-(

Yeah, it does and it is. :-( Which I don't understand why after seeing all those files scroll by.

...guenther

Thanks,

Celsun