Re: [Evolution] lost pop3 password

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 16:10 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
Le mercredi 29 dÃcembre 2004 Ã 06:27 -0600, Ron Johnson a Ãcrit :
On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 17:14 +0500, emnej wrote:
I forgot the pop3 password of one of my email accounts. It's still
stored in Evolution 1.4 but in an encrypted form. Is there any way to
decrypt it?

a way that will work with all pop3 mailers: just spy
the internet connexion (with a tool like ethereal) and you'll see your
cleartext password. Then wonder if your ISP doesn't offer you something
more secure than po3 (especially when you plug your laptop in a foreign
LAN).

I recommend Dsniff, an excellent password sniffer. You will find it in
Debian.

In addition to sniffing passwords for fun and profit, dsniff is a
stunning educational tool. Show your users how it operates, show them
their sniffed passwords and they suddenly understand why you have been
pestering them for months to start using SSL over POP and IMAP. Soon
thereafter you can disable POP and IMAP, leaving only POPS and IMAPS,
and you won't hear one complaint.